Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Career Advice For New Digital Talent

Career Advice For New Digital Talent



I still remember the heady thrill of excitement and anticipation I felt back in 1997, when someone sat me down and guided me through the convoluted process of logging in to AOL to use the Yahoo! search engine for the first time. The internet was a golden land of opportunity, a playground of promise that has led to my career in digital design over the last 17 years.

I’m not suggesting I’ve seen it all, but through that time I’ve witnessed software and hardware trends come and go, web innovations that have streamlined work processes, and of course, I’ve made all the usual mistakes that come with the territory. “If only I knew then what I know now” I often find myself thinking, and this attitude has prompted me to help the next generation make the most of their opportunities. At the risk of sounding like the old dude from the Werther’s Originals ad (“Now I’m the grandfather…”), I’ve spent a lot of time helping young people get started in their careers. I’ve mentored school students on work experience, university students on their block placements and given talks in association with local digital innovation groups.

Young people today have a huge advantage when it comes to digital - as natives who have grown up surrounded with the internet, Wi-Fi and smartphones, they live and breathe mobile communications. But being properly equipped to get a job in digital doesn’t always come so naturally. I’m often asked what skills are needed to work in a digital agency, and how can one go about  preparing for a career in this rapidly evolving industry?

A career in digital doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be a Photoshop genius or that you can code in your sleep. Successful teams are made up of all sorts of disciplines, and people come from all sorts of backgrounds with complementary skill sets. Some of the skills that I prioritise when looking to take on new individuals.

* Good listening skills
* Clear communication
* Able to manage own time
* Proactive idea suggestions
* Problem-solving skills
* Good listening skills

We don’t look for all of those skills in everyone we take on, of course. More than anything, we’re looking for individuals who are passionate about what they do. You can teach skills like programming, front-end development and project management, but passion is just something that’s there. You can cultivate it,

Read more > Career Advice For New Digital Talent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Onwon 5 Pcs Mini Sun Glasses Eyeglass Microfiber Spectacles Cleaner

* Material:plastic + microfiber,brand new and high quality. * Mini Portable sun glasses eyeglass microfiber spectacles cleaner . * Microfi...